Home MMA Commission Head Claims Conor McGregor Has Been Pulled From UFC 219

Commission Head Claims Conor McGregor Has Been Pulled From UFC 219

GDANSK, POLAND - OCTOBER 21: UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor cheers on teammate Artem Lobov in his featherweight bout against Andre Fili during the UFC Fight Night event inside Ergo Arena on October 21, 2017 in Gdansk, Poland. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

According to the director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation(MTDAR), the commission that oversaw Bellator 187 at the 3Arena in Dublin on Friday night, Conor McGregor has been pulled from UFC 219 on December 30th as a result of his actions at the event.

McGregor invaded the cage, pushed referee Marc Goddard and slapped a Bellator employee after he thought that teammate Charlie Ward had scored a knockout win over Redmond. Though Ward was indeed declared a knockout victor moments later, Goddard had not officially called a halt to the bout at the time of McGregor’s invasion.

Mazzulli and the MTDAR released a statement shortly after the incident, which stated that the the commission had already been in contact with “upper management of the UFC” and the members of the Association of Boxing Commissions(ABC) with which McGregor is licensed to inform them of his “inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour.”

During an appearance on The MMA Hour on Monday, Mazzulli added that during his conversation with UFC officials, he was informed that McGregor has been removed from the promotion’s annual, big, end-of-year spectacular.

“I had some executives from the UFC contact me within two hours of what occurred, and they basically said to me that it is completely unacceptable in their eyes and that they will be doing something,” Mazzulli said. “They did inform me that he was set to be on the December 30th card and he will not be on it. So, I do commend UFC to some extent for doing that.”

McGregor had not been officially announced as a participant for UFC 219, but it was speculated that he would defend the UFC lightweight title against interim titlist Tony Ferguson on the card.

Some have suggested that because McGregor is not licensed by the commission, the MTDAR will be unable to take direct action against the SBG fighter, but Mazzulli said that he will be exploring the possibility of doing so. While Mazzulli added that it’s unclear what the relevant members of the ABC intend to do in response to McGregor’s actions, it’s worth noting that the MTDAR director is also the current president of the ABC and he seems to be in favour of imposing stern sanctions.

“I will be speaking to my attorneys upon returning to the United States and see if I have any action,”¬†said Mazzulli. “I did contact the members of the ABC that does have him licence and I did inform them on what had occurred. Now, I don’t know what they are going to do. Each commission is autonomous within the ABC, but we do share medicals and the safety aspect as well as rules and regulations.”

“If it was at Mohegan, there is no doubt in my mind he would be suspended and fined, and he would not be fighting at Mohegan for a minimum of six months,” he added later. “No doubt.”

About Seamus Raftery

Seamus Raftery
Seamus is the Lead MMA Writer at Pundit Arena and you can reach him via [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @SeamusRaftery

Check Also

Watch: The Extraordinary Moment Conor McGregor Found Out About Jose Aldo’s Injury Ahead Of UFC 189

An incredible moment from Conor McGregor’s new Notorious documentary has just turned up online… Heading …