After a report on Tuesday morning claimed that a Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather bout had been agreed, several journalists spoke out dismissing the suggestion as nonsense.
However, although the fight may be someway from being agreed, Brett Okamoto of ESPN has now announced that the Nevada State Athletic Commission Chairman has confirmed that the bout is a legitimate prospect and that there have been talks with the ‘real’ parties involved.
Breaking: NSAC chairman Marnell confirms there have been "real discussions" with "the real players involved" on McGregor vs. Mayweather.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) February 14, 2017
Okamoto is very highly regarded in the world of MMA and speaking to the NSAC Chairman Anthony Marnell, the ESPN journalist not only confirmed that discussions regarding the bout had taken place, but how much each party involved is looking for.
“I’m confirming that real people are having real discussions,” Marnell said. “I’m also telling you my opinion as the Nevada Athletic Commission chairman that a lot of things need to get done in order to see something like this come together because there are so many parties that want to get their hands on the pot.
“Maybe it will get figured out, but it’s going to be hard when everyone is declaring they want $100 million. That’s not what I said — that’s what they’ve said. That’s their quotes, not mine. If everyone wants $100 million, that’s a lot of $100 millions to go around.”