Home MMA John Kavanagh Forced To Clarify Position On McGregor Comeback After Heavy Criticism

John Kavanagh Forced To Clarify Position On McGregor Comeback After Heavy Criticism

After Tony Ferguson claimed the Interim Lightweight Title at UFC 216 last weekend, the 33-year-old stated on multiple occasions that he is going to ‘expose’ Conor McGregor when the Irishman finally returns to the Octagon. 

However, despite the fact that an interim belt would normally guarantee the holder a shot at the undisputed crown, Ferguson is not so sure of what lies ahead.

LAS VEGAS, NV - OCTOBER 07: Tony Ferguson celebrates after his submission victory over Kevin Lee in their interim UFC lightweight championship bout during the UFC 216 event inside T-Mobile Arena on October 7, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Despite the fact that McGregor had previously stated that he was looking forward to seeing what ‘these two fools’ (Ferguson/Lee) did at UFC 216, the Irishman has not made any comment with regard to the interim title fight since Saturday night – something which leads Ferguson to believe that the Irishman is running scared.

“Look, Conor watches the fights. This dude didn’t say sh*t. He didn’t say sh*t on Twitter. He didn’t even comment saying ‘good fight’.” Ferguson said speaking on The MMA Hour. 

“He said he was looking forward to watching this fight; he hasn’t said nothing. The boy is scared. He’s running.”

“I told him, just set the belt down and walk away and nobody will get hurt. That’s all you’ve got to do: just set it down and you won’t get your ass kicked.”

Speaking after the fight itself, Dana White addressed the endless gossip surrounding a potential Diaz trilogy getting booked for McGregor’s comeback claiming that it wasn’t even on the table.

“Nobody’s talked about Diaz – Diaz has never been talked about,” said the UFC president. “That’s Internet bullshit.”

“Tony’s the interim champion, Conor’s the champion. It’s the fight that makes sense,” he said. “It’s the fight that has to happen – it doesn’t ‘make sense,’ it’s the fight that has to happen.”

However, although White may believe that no one’s even talked about McGregor/Diaz III, the fact is that the fight remains the bookies’ favourite for the Irishman’s comeback while McGregor’s coaches have repeatedly stated that the trilogy bout would be their preferred option for his UFC return.

However, given the fact that Nate has done nothing but hide and seemingly wait for McGregor ever since the Irishman defeated him at UFC 202 last August, there seems to be a real disinterest in the Stockton brawler at present with fans now crying out for a lightweight unification bout between the Irishman and Tony Ferguson.

John Kavanagh’s interest in the Diaz trilogy has drawn some criticism online with many claiming that the SBG coach had even stated that McGregor/Diaz III is the fight that the fans wanted to see – a misrepresentation that Kavanagh himself was eager to correct.

Check out the SBG coach and founder clarifying his stance with regard to the trilogy bout in the face of criticism below…

SEE ALSO: Daniel Cormier Brilliantly Explains Why Conor McGregor Would Defeat Tony Ferguson

About John Murphy

John Murphy
John is the Editor-in-Chief of Pundit Arena. Contact him on Twitter here:

Check Also

Watch: Woodley Responds To Dos Anjos’ Title Claim While Sitting Right Beside Him

The welterweight champion of the world had a pretty cheeky response for the man who …