Were such a bout between GSP and McGregor to occur, it would be sure to break pay-per-view records in MMA.
Prior to Conor McGregor’s arrival on the UFC scene in 2013, Georges St Pierre was arguably the sport’s biggest star. The Canadian routinely yielded high pay-per-view buy rates alongside Brock Lesnar at the turn of the decade.
Having seemingly retired from the sport following his disputed win over Johny Hendricks in November of 2013, the welterweight legend is now set for action four years later, this time challenging for the middleweight belt against Michael Bisping at UFC 217 next month.
GSP sets foot back into a UFC where the spectre of McGregor has completely changed how fights are made (GSP’s own title shot in a weight class he’s never fought at is a testament to this). Naturally, much buzz has centred around a potential showdown with the Notorious one himself.
The talk began at UFC 196, where St Pierre was in attendance for McGregor’s first fight against Nate Diaz. Though it was never revealed that a win for Conor would’ve been an adequate prelude for a GSP match-up, Diaz believed that he had spoiled a very lucrative party.
“I put a big old hole in that sh*t,” Diaz said on Chael Sonnen’s You’re Welcome podcast in 2016.
“What do you guys think that I’m some game to be played with? I’ve been in this game for too long to f*ck with.
“Yeah, they had GSP there. We’re gonna have this big old GSP-McGregor show bullsh*t. I don’t even want to hear about that. GSP is gonna come out of f*cking retirement to fight this little ass Conor McGregor? What the f*ck? This is all just a freak show now. So now what did I do? I pissed off Conor McGregor, I pissed off GSP and most of all I pissed off the UFC. But LOL mother f*ckers.”
Speaking after his UFC 217 press conference on Friday, St Pierre said that while his appearance at UFC 196 was merely at the behest of then-UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta, he would be willing to service the intense interest in a McGregor bout despite a disparity in weight.
“Lorenzo wanted me to be there, I don’t know if he had a motive behind it but I was just there because of a meeting”, GSP confirmed.
“We don’t compete in the same weight class. Everything is possible, everybody’s targeting him because he’s the money fight. But I don’t challenge guys that compete in lower weight classes. I’m going up to fight Bisping, so I’m looking up.
“He’s an amazing fighter and it would be an amazing honour, but I don’t know. If the fans want and if he wants it, maybe it could happen.”
A loss to Bisping might see GSP return to welterweight, where McGregor competed twice last year.