Despite Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez being bang on form for Arsenal at present it looks as though the north London club want to spend on another striker.
The Gunners’ link with Torino attacker Andrea Belotti has been doing the rounds for a couple of days but the Italian club’s sporting director, Gianluca Petrachi, has now let it be known that Arsenal have submitted a bid of €65 million (£55.7m), which has subsequently been turned down.
— Guglielmo Cannavale (@GugliCannavale) January 8, 2017
According to Goal.com, the player in question has just agreed to a new contract at Il Toro, which includes a €100 million release clause, a figure Torino know full well no club would offer them for Belotti.
“Yes, we received the offer, but it does not reflect the value of the player,” Petrachi told Sky Italia.
“Anyway, he is going nowhere for now. We want to enjoy him, then we’ll see what happens.
“We intend to keep Belotti and president Urbano Cairo signed this important buy-out clause. I think he’s worth more than they have offered.”
Having netted 13 goals in just 17 Serie A games so far this term, Petrachi may have a point, particularly with Torino only in eight place in the league, showing the individual talent of the striker.
With that said however, Arsenal may see Belotti as a sound future investment given his age (23), and the player will also surely have ambitions of advancing his career beyond the confines of the Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino some day.
Arsene Wenger must see something special in the Italy international too because if any future bids nearing the kind of figures mentioned above are to be successful for the goalscorer in question it would utterly smash the £38.2 million club record fee paid for Mesut Ozil in 2013.
For now Arsenal aren’t doing too badly in front of goal but to advance to the next level these are the kind of future investments the club needs to start making.
Rob Lyons, Pundit Arena